Angela YT Chan
Hello, I'm an independent artist, curator and research consultant specialising in climate change in relation to people, unfinished histories, technologies and justice.
Image: Angela YT Chan, credit Louise Hobson of SWAY
My main activities are:
- arts practice
- art commissions
- public talks
- climate and cultural research and consulting
- data practice
"Angela YT Chan is an independent researcher, curator and artist specialising in climate change. Her multidisciplinary work examines power in relation to the inequity throughout the colonial and ongoing history of the climate crisis, through self-archiving, data science, technologies, rethinking geographies and speculative fiction. Her recent research-art commissions use video, illustrations, conversations and other research media to focus on water scarcity, conflict and everyday experiences through climate framings and communications. Since 2014, Angela has produced curatorial projects and workshops, collaborating with artists, activists and youth groups (formerly as Worm: art + ecology). She co-directs the London Science Fiction Research Community. Angela is also a research consultant, having worked in international climate and cultural policy and on climate and sustainability projects for major cultural institutions. She is trained and currently working within data with an aim towards applications to climate issues."
Current and Upcoming
- Commissioned artist for Focal Point Gallery's Railway Bridge Commission (Aug - Oct 2023) and Storm Warning group exhibition (Oct - Jan 2024)
- Commissioned artist for Grand Union's Growing Project year 3 evalutation report in the shape of a digital narrative (twine) game (Oct-March 2024)
- Environmental Data, Media, and the Humanities a Digital Humanities Hackathon (31.05–02.06.2023) with Potsdam Network for Digital Humanities
- forestscapes, a “collective inquiry” into forests as living cultural landscapes with generative arts and sound materials with The Public Data Lab
- Towards More Environmentally and Socially Responsible Digital Practice 3 digital training sessions at arebyte Gallery Book here with the discount code 'DTS50'
- Strata of climate landscapes: drawings, text and diagrams a workshop for Polyvocality: Literary and Visual Landscapes Symposium, University of Bristol // University of Southampton
- CTRL (CREATIVE TECHNOLOGY RESEARCH LABS) artist talk with Submerge Festival and The Lowry
- Storytelling Interconnectedness - a digital mapping and speculative climate fictions workshop - for Futuring Waters in Elefsina, Greece. Programmed by Prof. Jenny Marketou (The New School)
- Speculative Space of Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums: Workshop 3 with Verity Burke at the Science Museum. Programmed by Dr Amy Butt, Dr Megen De Bruin-Mole and Noriko Suzuki-Bosco at the University of Reading
- Uncertain Relations Symposium workshop, University of Greenwich
- Maison Artagon, France, Spring-Summer 2023 Season Artist Residency for independent artist and research development
Updated: 15th Oct 2023
You can reach me at: angela.yt.chan at gmail dot com